Skip to Content

Frequently Asked Questions

How frequently do I need to take courses?

Graduate education students are eligible to take up to two (2) courses every eight (8) week term.  However, in order to remain active in your program and to refrain from having to re-apply and be re-admitted, you must take courses within one (1) year of your last course successfully taken.  Also, please keep in mind that anytime you have to re-apply for re-admittance, you will be required to meet the admissions and program requirements that are in place at that time.

How long do I have to start my program once admitted?

You must register in courses no later than six (6) months after you’ve been initially admitted.  If for some reason you do not, you will be required to re-apply and be re-admitted.  Also, please keep in mind that anytime you have to re-apply for re-admittance, you will be required to meet the admissions and program requirements that are in place at that time. 

Am I able to take courses outside of my admitted program?

Students are only eligible to take courses under the program they’ve been admitted into.  The only time a student can take courses in another program is if they switch to the specific program their desired courses are listed under.

Is there an application deadline for admission?

Yes, applications must be received at least two weeks prior to the beginning of the term.  It’s best, however, to begin the process as early as possible so you’ll have time to get all admissions documents in and can register for classes before they begin to fill up.  If you wait two week prior to the beginning of the term to apply, you may not have time to get everything in and may not get the classes you need or prefer.  

Can I send my Admissions documents prior to completing an application?

No, we do not like to receive admissions documents until we have an application on file to apply those documents to.  Please complete an application prior to having any admissions documents sent.  You can apply now from the following link: Apply Now

I have a copy of my transcripts in a sealed envelope that has not been opened. Can these be accepted for admission?

No, transcripts received from a student in any form are not considered official.  Transcripts must be received directly from the college/university.  

Where do I find information about the Praxis and/or GRE exams?

Below are the entrance exam requirements for our Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) program. Links to both the Praxis and GRE websites are also included.

Praxis CASE (Core Academic Skills for Educators) or GRE

The CASE series includes three (3) exams: Math, Reading, and Writing. All three are required, and scores must meet the following requirements: Math 150, Reading 156, and Writing 162. The required GRE scores for exams taken after 08-01-2011 are Verbal 150, Quantitative 143, and Analytical Writing 4.0. The required GRE scores for exams taken prior to 08-01-2011 are Verbal 450, Quantitative 490, and Analytical Writing 4.0. Written verification of test registration can be provided for conditional admittance.

Praxis CASE Website

GRE Website

Am I required to pass the entrance exam before I can begin classes?

Candidates can be conditionally admitted to the University with written confirmation of test registration and can take up to 4 courses on the conditional Admittance.  Keep in mind, however, that all admissions documents must be received by the end of the first 4 courses in order to continue taking coursework and that candidates cannot be admitted into Teacher Education without passing the entrance exam.  Hence, candidates are taking coursework at their own risk on a conditional admittance.  Also, students are not eligible to accept a teaching position under the Alternative Certification (Option 6) program under a conditional admittance.  Full admission to the University and Teacher Education is required to accept a teaching position.  Full admission to Teacher Education is dependent upon receipt of all admissions materials including acceptable scores.  

How do I know if my admissions documents have been received?

Applicants can review their Checklist on MyUC. Documents will be checked off as received in the Admissions Office.  

How do I register for my ucumberlands email account?

To sign up for your email account, visit:

How do I get information about financial aid/loans?

You can contact our Financial Planning Office at 1-800-343-1609, Ext. 4220, or via e-mail at  All applicants must complete the FAFSA.  Financial Aid forms can be located at the following link: Financial Aid Forms

How do I get my books?

Books can be purchased online from our Campus Bookstore at the following link: UC Bookstore

How do I register for classes?

You will register for your first classes with our Graduate Education Advising Center.  You can contact the Advising Center at 1-800-343-1609, Ext. 4539, or via e-mail at You will register yourself for all future terms using MyUC.

How long does it take to complete a Master's program?

The answer is it varies. Our programs are designed to accommodate working adults, and a lot depends on how quickly you choose to pursue the program.  The average completion time for our MAEd program is 18 months.

Can I pursue only one certification area at the Middle School level, or am I required to pursue two?

We recommend that all MAT Middle School candidates choose two certification areas.  Kentucky, however, only requires one area of emphasis.  Keep in mind that Kentucky is the exception, and most other states require two areas. 

Where do I go to take my classes?

You will log in to your classes using iLearn. 

You will be required to complete a short tutorial before you will be given access.    

Three criteria must be met before logging in for the first time:

1. You must have a UC email account.
2. You must have validated your account in MyUC (See My UC Tutorial).
3. You must be registered for at least one class. 

After completing the above criteria, you must watch the following Introduction Video to get acquainted with the iLearn environment.  After watching the video, you can begin the tutorial by following the video instructions to log into iLearn.  You will log in using your standard University username and password, which are the same credentials you use to access your email account.  If you have not registered for an e-mail account, please do so immediately by clicking here.  If you have forgotten your username and/or password, it can be recovered at Password Recovery.  If you have any questions or problems pertaining to the orientation tutorial, please contact the Department of Information Technology at 1-800-343-1609, Ext. 4197, locally at 539-4197, or via email at

Will courses from another university transfer to the University of the Cumberlands?

Yes, provided such credit meets the appropriate degree requirements for your University of the Cumberlands program.  We allow the transfer of 9 hours.  A Transfer Credit Evaluation Form can be completed from the following link:

Transfer Credit Form

If I am from out of state, can I still get a teaching license through this program?

Yes, we provide certification for the state of Kentucky through Kentucky’s Education Professional Standards Board (EPSB), and that certificate can in turn be transferred to another state through interstate reciprocity. It’s important for all out-of-state candidates to check with their respective state certification office to determine reciprocity eligibility. If a teacher candidate is pursuing the MAT Program outside of Kentucky, he/she will only be able to acquire a Kentucky Statement of Eligibility (SOE) through student-teaching. Once the candidate arrives as the student-teaching semester, seventy (70) days of clinical practice must be conducted in an accredited United States school. Out-of-State candidates are not eligible for licensure without student-teaching.

Am I required to student teach?

MAT students must student teach unless teaching under the Alternative Certification (Option 6) program.  Students teaching under the Alt. Cert program will take our online Practicum class instead.    

How long does each class last?

All courses in the program with the exception of Research Methods, Student Teaching, and Practicum courses are offered in 8 week bi-terms.  Research Methods, Student Teaching, and Practicum courses are full semester courses and last 16 (sixteen) weeks.  Classes consist of chat sessions between the professor and students in the class, and students are required to be logged in and at their computer during class time.  Each class meets one night per week from 8:00-9:30 p.m. Eastern Standard Time. 

Am I required to complete field experience hours?

Some courses do require field experience hours, and the courses that do are listed in our Graduate Handbook.

How do I find out who my advisor is?

You will be assigned an Admissions Counselor when you apply, and will be assigned an Academic Advisor by our Graduate Education Advising Center when you register for your first classes.  Your Academic Advisor will also show at the bottom of your schedule on MyUC.

Who do I contact if I have questions about Certification and/or Temporary Provisional Licensure?

You can contact our Certification Office at 1-800-343-1609, Ext. 4446, or via e-mail at

Can I pursue more than one (1) certification area?

 With the exception of Middle School certification which allows for two certification areas, dual certification is not an option. 

"UC has multiple attributes that I find attractive. Its affordability, high moral standards and sense of ..."

Read More >
– April Templeton
MBA graduate

"The MBA program fit my busy lifestyle. I was able to attend MBA classes and do the assigned work all ..."

Read More >
– Pam Jones
Baptist Regional Medical Center

"The [MBA] program allowed me to make great contacts and network with other professionals."

Read More >
– Amanda Farris
Southeastern Kentucky Rehabilitation Industries

"I enjoyed the quality of the materials and the instructors. The knowledge I gained will help me in my business."

Read More >
– Eric Greer
Founder & President

"The learning environment and the facilities at UC PA are the best around and it makes learning so much ..."

Read More >
– Kevin Caddell
PA Program Student

"The MAED program was a very comprehensive and robust experience that definitely added value to ..."

Read More >
– Nathan Smith
Elementary School Teacher

"The MBA program has given me an opportunity to further my education while working a full-time job."

Read More >
– Desrick Jones
Assistant Manager
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.

"I believe that UC is making great strides toward becoming one of the best online programs."

Read More >
– Benjamin Clayton
MACS Program

"I enjoyed the convenience and flexibility of the schedule especially with four children. The small ..."

Read More >
– Mark Steely
Coordinator of Radiology and Radiation Safety Officer
Baptist Regional Medical Center

"UC does an excellent job of bringing students from the virtual world together in a cohesive class unit."

Read More >
– Jennifer Kincaid
Assistant Principal
MAED Program Student

"UC provided me with the tools and professional network of individuals to lead our school district in South Carolina."

Read More >
– David O’Shields
Laurens County School District

"Enrolling in the University of the Cumberlands’ MBA program was a rewarding and valuable investment ..."

Read More >
– Brooklyn Hooker
Kentucky Highlands Investment Corporation

"Being part of the new era of technology allows UC to be a great learning institution as well as versatile."

Read More >
– Lesley Tipton
PA Program Student

"The Rank 1 program at UC provides a broad array of avenues for enhancing our roles as educators."

Read More >
– Elizabeth Stack

"The online program at UC has allowed me to further my education while maintaining my personal commitments."

Read More >
– Carl Roberts
MAT Program

"I was attracted to UC because of its location in the beautiful foothills of the Appalachian Mountains ..."

Read More >
– Suzanne Benninger
PA Program Student

Clicking the “Send Request” button below constitutes your express written consent to be called and/or texted by University of the Cumberlands at the number(s) you provided, regarding furthering your education. You understand that these calls may be generated using an automated technology.